Antacids may relieve burning sensation in the chest or have acid reflux.
Antacids (Antacids) is a drug that can be bought without a prescription. This drug can help reduce the pain. And discomfort due to a burning sensation in the chest or GERD. These drugs work by making the stomach acid is neutralized it.
For example, drugs that can be purchased in the supermarket. Or pharmacies, including
- Tums (calcium carbonate)
- Citrical (calcium citrate)
- Gaviscon (alginic acid)
- Alka-Seltzer (sodium bicarbonate)
- Medicines containing Aluminum and magnesium, such as Mylanta, Maalox, and Gelusil.
Some medicines, such as Gelusil, Mylanta and Maalox Advanced kinds of high concentrations may contain simethicone, which helps to expel.
Precautions, warnings and drug interactions.
- If symptoms do not improve within 2 weeks of using antacids. You should stop taking the drug and seek medical advice.
- However, you should consult your doctor before using this medicine if you have the following symptoms.
- Have liver or kidney disease
- Actively controlled diet that is high in sodium.
- During the treatment, such as thyroid Levoxyl or Synthroid (Levothyroxine) or anticoagulant such as Coumadin or Jantoven (Warfarin) because antacids may affect these drugs.
If you are in the pregnancy. Avoid using antacids containing sodium bicarbonate as Alka-Seltzer or other drugs that are high in sodium.
If you want to use medications that contain calcium. But concerns about the wind in the gut may more. You may choose to use Citrical (calcium citrate) than the Tums (calcium carbonate).
You can take antacids 30 minutes before eating, but most people find that eating about 1 hour after meals or eating on the symptoms. It reduces the symptoms last longer (up to 2 hours).
Side effects are common.
Side effects are common, depending on the ingredients, such as antacids.
- Flatulence, gastrointestinal or more, the scorers.
- Hand, foot and ankle swelling (drugs with sodium bicarbonate as an ingredient, such as Alka-Seltzer).
- Constipation (medications that contain calcium or aluminum).
- Diarrhea (of drugs containing magnesium).
Antacids containing magnesium and the like Maalox and Mylanta Aluminum is often a side effect of constipation or diarrhea, fewer medications containing magnesium or aluminum only. As a result of these two drugs will cancel each other.